How To Apply Your Wall Stickers
Although it is relatively easy to apply wall stickers, we do recommend that you follow the following steps to ensure that you put your decal up correctly the first time!
Items You Will Need To Apply Wall Stickers
- A Credit Card, Driver’s License or something similar.
- Some Masking Tape
- One Pair of Scissors
These Tools Make Application Of Wall Stickers Easier But Aren’t Essential
- A Long Ruler
- A Spirit Level
Your Decal will arrive made up of 3 different components. To help you with the application of your Decal, there is a diagram to highlight which layer is which. The three components are as follows:
- A - Application layer
- B - Backing Layer
- C - Vinyl wall Decal
- Ensure the area is clean, dry and free from dirt by wiping with a slightly damp cloth and then let the area dry for at least a few hours before you begin applying the decals.
- Freshly painted walls must be left for at least 2 weeks before application; if your wall decal is to be fitted on a wall where the other side of the wall is external you must wait 4-5 weeks before application.
- If you have multiple decals on one sheet you may wish to separate them to make the task more manageable. Roll the Decal(s) out on a flat surface. Make sure the decal is flat on the surface using the palm of your hand to ensure there are no creases or bubbles visible.
Important Notes On Applying Your Wall Sticker:
Taking your time when applying the decals will help you achieve the best results. Make sure everything is in position before removing the backing layer as the adhesive layer below is very sticky.
1. Lay the sticker out on the surface, with the transparent application layer facing you. Tape all four corners of the decal to the wall with your masking Tape.
2. Apply a strip of tape across the decal to create an anchor point (horizontally or vertically depending on shape of the decal).
3. Once the decal is anchored, remove the tape from the two top corners.
4. Begin to carefully peel the application layer from the backing layer, ensuring the decal is stuck to the application layer. Keep peeling until you reach the anchor point.
5. Cut the backing layer as close to the central divide as possible.
6. Use your credit card or squeegee to stick the decal (and application layer) to the surface, being careful to remove all bubbles. Start from the middle and work outwards, moving up slightly as you go along.
7. Wait a few minutes for the adhesive to attach the decal to the wall then remove the anchor tape and repeat steps 6-8 on the opposite side.
8. Wait 10 minutes then peel back the clear paper ensuring vinyl decal is fully adhered to your surface (peel back slowly to ensure wall paint doesn’t come off with the clear paper).
And there you have it!
If you happen to come across any problems when applying your wall sticker or simply need some advice before starting, give us a call and we will be able to walk you through the steps and give you the correct information to help you put your decal on the wall.
If you are wanting to remove your wall sticker for any reason, take a look at our guide on How To Remove Wall Stickers.